INTERNATIONAL FRATERNITY OF THE CAMINO DE SANTIAGO.
OFFICIAL RELEASE NUMBER 2 - Santiago de Compostela 13/03/20
In view of the ongoing Corona virus crisis and the responsibility we owe to our pilgrims and volunteer hospitaleros, we offer the following to the Camino community:
1) We advise pilgrims to NOT undertake the Jacobean pilgrimage until this situation returns to normal. The Camino has seen similar things in its miraculous history, and it will still be here when this crisis, too, is history.
2) Most of our hospitality volunteers at FICS come from outside Spain. We thank them for their enthusiasm and dedication, and assure them their well-being is our first priority. We release them of their commitments to serve at Grado until the current situation returns to stability and safety. A thousand thanks to all of them.
3) We urge everyone to follow the advice and warnings of the health authorities without question.
4) We call on the civil authorities responsible for the Caminos de Santiago to protect and support by all means possible the 3,000-plus pilgrims currently on the Iberian caminos who were taken by surprise by the magnitude of this situation.
5) We urge those same authorities, and very particularly to Autonomous Communities and the Xacobeo Council, to provide clear and timely instructions regarding the operation of emergency pilgrim accommodations -- including the provisional closure and timely re-opening of albergues. FICS puts all its resources at their disposal. We encourage the Camino community to join us in this responsibility. Working together, we will soon again walk our beautiful Way of St. James. Ultreia y suseia